Monday, June 29, 2015

Japan Day 5: Shopping vs. The Well


Pancakes done right

Remember how I mentioned that Japan likes to perfect things from other cultures? Well you can add pancakes to that list! We had  Hawaiian Pancakes in My Lord (a department store in Shinjuku Station) and I think I will forever crave them. The pancakes had the perfect consistency of being crisp on the outside and tender, but not dense and doughy, on the inside. Breakfast restaurants, specifically ones that serve pancakes, are a big trend right now in Tokyo but they don't open until 11am. I was starving by the time we got our food and wolfed my portion down quickly.

Sign for the restaurants in My Lord. The malls here have anywhere from 9-13 floors! 

John opted for strawberry.

I look crazed here because I was so hungry and excited to dig in.

Mango pancakes with coconut syrup and a tower of whipped cream.


To each their own


This was our last day in Tokyo and I wasn't about to let it pass without picking up a few items. John HATES shopping and purchasing material goods in general, so we split up for a couple hours and I walked the boutique street in Harajuku by myself and John went to Yoyogi park. I wish I could have done the shopping and the park. John made me envious of his excursion after he showed me his pictures. Again, another reason we'll just have to go back.

I was trying to get the pretty Ships dressing room in the picture but failed. The outfit is my own. One thing I loved about shopping in Japan was that everything was modest and in my size. 


Back entrance to the Meiji Shrine


Water terraces of irises.




After picking up our cumbersome duffle bags from the hotel, we rode the Shinkansen (bullet train) to Kyoto. We quickly learned that no one uses duffle bags for traveling here! Super fail for the LeSueurs! There are elevators and escalators at all the stations so everyone else had hard 4-wheel roller suitcases. John carried my bag for me and took up the space of 3 people as we made connections to the bullet train. I think everyone despised us. In fact, I despised us! We were so annoying with all our luggage and the room we took up! 


My mom told us we had to get a bento on the train. I think the quality has gone downhill since she was last here in the 80's. 

This was the least appetizing thing we ate on our trip (besides McDonald's). The eel was alright.
I really liked the train ride! I listened to music (mostly Chvrches album on repeat) and John read and slept. I get motion sick very easily so I can't read on moving vehicles. The trip to Kyoto via bullet train is about 2 hours and, as you can see from the scenery below, it's a very pleasant ride!




We arrived at Kyoto station in the evening and after a few more connections finally made it to our hotel. Both of us were tired and starving. We found a restaurant down the street from the hotel and ate on the ground on tatami mats. We were the only ones on the whole upper floor of the restaurant and it was kind of nice.

Prize at the end of a long traveling day: Tempura dinner! 

No comments: