Sunday, September 14, 2014

Life Lately

I just want say that I am very glad that I decided not to take night classes for studio photography this fall. Best decision ever. Even though I loved what I was learning and thought my professor was top notch, I wouldn't have been able to handle it.  Sometimes doing more is not better and focusing on doing a few things well is better for one's sanity.

Those who know me can probably gauge the state of my life by the amount of photography I'm doing. Since I haven't posted pictures or picked up my camera for about a month, that tells you something.

IVF has been in full swing and what was supposed to last 9 days turned into a 25 day ordeal. Yesterday was spent in a Valium torpor eating gummy bears and watching Full Metal Alchemist.  I think adults underestimate the enjoyment that can be had from a well made cartoon or anime. John, in the meantime, headed over to the ward party and ate from the taco truck and played ultimate. I think he was pretty happy there and is probably getting tired of being stuck in the house with me as I recover from various procedures.

School is back in session and this year has honestly been the craziest ever! As one of my fellow teachers has said, I feel like I'm a first year teacher all over again (and this is after 7 years of teaching!).  We're piloting a new one-to-one laptop initiative which means every student on our team gets a Chrome Book to use. They're eventually supposed to do and submit all their assignments online.  It didn't sound so bad at first, in fact we were excited, but then we learned quickly that 7th graders don't know how to use a computer or the internet or even type. They don't know how to refresh a page or restart their computers, or spell the words for their email address to sign into the computer ("district" has an r in it!). Lately I feel like I'm teaching a computer class and not science. Hopefully this all pays off in the end.

And to finish off with a few happy events, John's parents were in town for Avril's blessing. My dad is coming to visit this week. We're off to Denver after that for a cousin's wedding.  Lots of good things to look forward to!