Monday, May 19, 2014

Sprung!

For the last 7 years that we've lived in this town home, I've spent every summer fighting the rocks in our yard and struggled to get anything to grow.  I don't have a black thumb at all and have been gardening alongside my dad for as long as I can remember, so it's been frustrating! These tiny yards don't give one much to work with and the added construction trash that the building company left in the beds doesn't help.

I finally gave up the good fight with the front flower bed after all my perennials but one didn't come back from last year. Then I totally copied my neighbor across the street and decided to use whiskey barrel planters. I'm excited to have some green in the front and I may check on my plants more than a new mother does on her sleeping newborn baby. John keeps calling me back into the house yelling, "They haven't changed yet!"

There are a lot of plant pictures in here because the wannabe botanist/hobby farmer in me gets excited about these things.

First a picture of the growing out hair.

I'm planting this dahlia right across my spot at the kitchen table. It makes me smile every time I see it.

Sweet pea seedlings that I started.  This ghetto nursery sold me a species that wasn't a real sweet pea. It was an everlasting pea (Lathyrus latifolius) , aka a weed, and it was a monster! It took over the whole bed and hardly produced any flowers. Doing it right this time.

My peppermint! The only survivor after all of last year's sweat and rock hauling.

Basil.

Mini herb garden of oregano, chives, rosemary, parsley, and lavender. The lady the nursery said to only plant one perennial per pot if you want it to come back again. That would be the lavender. Fingers crossed!

The decorative pot.

And peonies! Finally! I've been wanting to plant one for a long time! I accidentally bought a single bloom instead of a double, or double bomb, so I might need to go back for another.

2 comments:

holtkamp said...

looks great mel!

Emily said...

You're gorgeous and so are your plants and pictures! I'm thinking of going with a pot for flowers this year.