Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Unexpected Snow










I had Friday off because of the extra hours worked during Student Led Conferences. One this day, John said I chose the better part, which in his book means deciding to do something outdoors instead of indulging in material pursuits (i.e. shopping). We drove up the canyon and were mesmerized by the golden canopies of leaves and then at the top ran into lots of snow. Luckily, I always have my wellies in my trunk so we were able to go on a hike. John braved it in his sneakers. They were soaked by the time we got back to the car.

I also shot my Mamiya. I'm telling you, I'm trying everything in my power not to give up on that camera. My 35mm Pentaxes are so easy and they're always tack sharp albeit grainier when blown up. That MF camera, which can stand for whatever you'd like (just kidding, it stands for medium format!), drives me crazy sometimes! It's so disappointing to not get the shots you thought were going to be great because they're not in focus. Maybe my eyes are going! I love the look of medium format film, so even if this relationship doesn't work out I'll be on the hunt for another MF camera. And as always the film images will come when I get motivated enough to mail the negatives out.

We had dinner later that night at The Soup Kitchen in Sugar House because being out amongst snow covered pines just warrants soup.  It wasn't that great, but I did like John's creamy tomato better than my broccoli cheddar and it all felt so nice and homey after being cold. We looked at the cats up for adaption through a window since we parked right in front of them. We also drove to check out the front of Acme Cameras which is a new rental place in Salt Lake. It was basically a non-impressive small warehouse painted red, but they have Contaxes and Polariod Land cameras to rent, which is awesome.

5 comments:

holtkamp said...

Nice pics! I actually didn't know it snowed enough to see....I guess we were down in the valley all weekend!

rachel said...

Want those boots

Kendrick and Desiree said...

Oh my goodness-those pictures are stunning! You have become such an amazing photographer.

Kristen said...

Ha ha! That MF camera...

Love your boots and I LOVE that shot of the tree lined road. Beautiful.

We used to order in Soup Kitchen when I worked at a floral shop in Millcreek. Everyone ranted and raved about their food and it was never terrible, just not "rave" worthy in my opinion.

Angie said...

I love all of these photos--and of course your boots! :)
I LOVE the look of MF film...still haven't bought a contax 645 yet. Someday. Maybe you should trade your Mamiya in for a contax and let me know how it goes. :)