Thursday, July 11, 2013

San Diego Trip

Since it's a little gloomy and raining out right now I figured it was a good time to be at home and catch up here. I've been wanting to head down to Santaquin to get a bag of fresh cherries sold off the back of the farmers trucks, but I was informed that they're most likely all gone by now.
 
We were in San Diego the week after school let out and I never put up these pictures.  I've been trying to just use my medium format camera lately, so almost everything is on rolls of film I've been storing up to ship off to the lab.  John has been shunning his digital camera which means less pictures to fill in the gaps while I wait for film. I do have lots of jewelry photography images, but those aren't very telling of our lives. At least I hope not. Anyway, on to the vacation!

Things we did:
  • Tried out the beach. John has been itching for waves to body surf.  It was too cold for me and  Michelle and our fingers went numb after awhile in the water. 
  • Ate at an awesome Turkish fusion restaurant for breakfast.  The breakfast wasn't Turkish, but the food was great! There were tiramisu pancakes, a giant apple cinnamon griddle cake, stuffed French toast, and lamb and short rib omelets. We were all in a food coma that afternoon.
  •  Celebrated Father's day. It was a nice coincidence that our trip aligned with Father's Day and it was the first time I was able to be with my dad to celebrate in 10 years!
  • Went to Bates Nut Farm.  Bates is kind of an insider's place that most tourists never visit.  There might be a good reason as it's basically a tiny farm with a dry goods store for treats next to it.  My parents used to take us when we were little to feed corn to the animals so it's nostalgic for us.  It's the San Diegan way to get out to the country.
  • Made my bi-annual trip to the Japanese market for candy. This time I brought most of it back for my Young Women to try.  There were these really good Panda Pocky that  I devoured with my nieces.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 


4 comments:

Emily said...

Oh I love your family and these pictures! We are so going to Bates Farm the next time we're home. :)

Heidi said...

Did you get my email about the film? Do you want it?

holtkamp said...

Is that a Tony Gwynn thing your dad got?!

Melinda said...

Yeah! My brother Steve tracked down a bunch of vintage Padre baseball cards and framed then for my dad :)