Saturday, July 27, 2013

On that photography class


One of the assignments from People Pictures

Yeah, that one that never happened for me. I sadly didn't end up taking the photo equipment and lighting class that I had registered for back in May.  I was seriously down trodden about that. I had built my whole vision of summer around learning light ratios, working with large format film, and developing prints in the dark room. Oh the lovely coolness of the dark room! SLCC apparently writes their schedules different than BYU.  At BYU a Tuesday/Thursday class would be represented with a TTH on the schedule.  At SLCC I assumed TR represented Thursday, but it was actually Tues/Thur. Long story short is that with our trips, girls camp, and some medical things that I would have missed half the classes so I dropped.

With the lack of an actual class, I've been trying to keep myself photographically active in other ways.  One thing I've done is use a book my sister-in-law gave me for my birthday.  Some of the assignments have been to go to the library and research different photographers (accomplished that at the HBLL), take 10 portraits in 10 minutes, go through 4 favorite magazines and tear out pictures you like and then assess what it is you like about them, and shoot black and white portraits, on film of course. They've been good exercises for me. I've also been doing product photography for Shabby Apple and just finished a small fashion shoot for them a couple weeks ago.

I also . . .
  1. Got a hand held light meter. This is mostly to use for my Mamiya, but it's also used in the lighting class I was going to take. I figured I should get a head start and get used to one. Plus the in camera meter on the Mamiya sucks.
  2. Got a full frame DLSR. Yes, I know you might think that's weird. The guy at Pictureline knows John and I and said it almost felt wrong to sell us digital equipment. BUT, full frame does SO much better with color in low light; something that film can't compete with sans lighting set up. It's sad but true. It's also better for when clients need the final pictures back the week you shoot them. Turn around time at most film labs is 10 days minimum. 



1 comment:

Emily said...

Sorry to hear about the class. Glad you're still studying and learning! Congrats on your dslr too. :)