Wednesday, June 26, 2013

What do I do in the summertime?

This is a question I get from a lot of people since I teach and don't work in the summer. Sometimes it's just an honest question. At other times it's a question filled with secret contempt. I am in a small category of people that still get to experience a real, carefree, childlike summer without a job, kids to tend, etc. and it's pretty awesome! I'm trying to enjoy it while it lasts.

In the past I have alternated my summers with traveling or taking a photography class. Since we went to Roatan last summer, this was supposed to be a photography year, but I had to drop my class (more on that later). We also make time to visit both of our families.

I do have a weakness that can paralyze my carefree visions and it's that I tend to over-schedule myself. Through the fast pace of interacting with my students and constantly multitasking in the classroom, I've developed the mentality that if you're sitting on your butt doing nothing for more than a few seconds, you're a lazy fool!  It's not a very healthy state of mind for vacation. For example, day #1 of summer found me trying to clean my whole house, running around the Salt Lake Valley on errands, working on church stuff, and doing product photography. Basically I was trying to do everything I didn't have time to do while working. All good things but too many of them packed into one day. I didn't even really eat because I was all over the place and I ended the day in the worst stressed out mood ever. I don't have kids or someone else to slow me down so I tend to just keep on going until I crash. To fix this I created a bucket list of fun things to do that aren't chores to balance out my weeks.

Anyway, here's a sample summer day:

Wake up, breakfast, check emails, product photography, scripture study. That's how the day usually starts. 


Next, at least on this particular day: I like gardening and one of my goals for years has been to fix up our front flower bed. It's not as easy as it sounds! The soil around here is so crappy and even crappier in our town homes.  Number one reason is the rocks! 

 


I've hauled about 10 buckets of rocks from that tiny planter and am still not finished! Second reason why the soil is terrible is because it's full of construction trash. Tons of rusty nails, a glove, candy bar wrappers, and giant slabs of concrete garbage all hidden deep down in the soil. I've also had to haul that loveliness and just about threw out my back. I did get to use my pick axe though! I felt so cool wielding that thing as chunks of concrete flew all over the place!


After gardening (mining) that day, I was hot and stinky and too tired to cook so we went out to our favorite hole-in-the-wall sushi place. The sushi chef is from Japan and it's one of the only places in Utah I trust for good fish.
 
 
 
 


After dinner we traipsed around the wetlands as part of some location scouting I had been wanting to do. I'm going to take a lot of pictures this summer. So, if you live near me, beware! I'll probably be calling you up to model sometime soon.
 
 
Oh yeah, I just have to add that John hates that dress I'm wearing.

7 comments:

Nathan Cashion said...

Hey, is that sushi place on 2nd South in Salt Lake across the street from the post office? That's right where my office is. I used to eat there all the time. I love their Vegas roll!

Emily said...

I like the dress you're wearing! I'm impressed you cleared out all of those rocks! Also, where is that sushi place?

beckie said...

John is a fool, that dress is awesome!

The wetlands. I hate the wetlands Micheal. I think I just maced a crane.

holtkamp said...

save the wetlands!

"summers are when parents start to reconsider how little teachers are paid" saw that yesterday and thought of you :)

yes, please address: why doesn't john like that dress?!?!

Kendrick and Desiree said...

I love that you realize how lucky you are to have a "care-free" summer. I feel that way too- I won't always have the luxury of staying home and playing with my young kids during the summertime so I am trying to enjoy it while it lasts. Oh and if you need a family of 6 to be models for you...we are always up for getting our pictures taken. It is actually one of my most favorite things;)

Kendrick and Desiree said...

Oh, and gardening was one of my favorite things to do when we lived out there. The trick to getting things to grow (for me) was peat moss. Lots and lots of peat moss;)

Melinda said...

The sushi place is here: http://www.utahsushi.net/

Nate, I'll have to try the place you mentioned! I'm always on the hunt for a new place!

@Jen John thinks the dress is baggy with no shape!