Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Not so happy endings

 
 
 
 
 
 
We went on a hike and photo excursion on MLK Jr. day. It was cold (22 degrees) but not as cold as our last hike which enabled us stay out a lot longer and enjoy the trees and crisp air. The adventure took some unexpected turns and started to resemble a rated R movie for deer as we came upon not one but two recently devoured carcasses with hair, entrails, and large gory patches of blood in the snow. Despite the carnage, the outdoors were lovely and refreshing. My bird sightings: stellar jays, black-capped chickadees, and magpies. There was also a hole in a tree which I convinced myself contained a hibernating poorwill.

Other events of the day included Kneaders French toast for breakfast, a trip to Pirate-O's for tea, cheese, and caramel puffs, and seeing The Impossible. That movie . . . it felt very realistic and intensely emotional, so much so that my stomach felt clenched tight the entire time. Sure there were a few scenes that were slow and drawn out a bit, but those served mainly to recover from the other parts of the movie. In the end I'd say it was a good movie, but I'm not sure it's for everyone. We both left the theater a little nauseated and overwhelmed.

6 comments:

holtkamp said...

Those poor deer! I haven't had kneaders French toast in ages, I need to go!

holtkamp said...

You took the captcha off!!!!!!!!!!!!

Emily said...

Love John's face. What a sad deer. glad you got to get out though.

Melinda said...

@Jen I know! I should have taken it off a long time ago. They're so annoying!

Kristen said...

Laughing so hard at John...that is so gross. (the picture, not John of course.)

Miriam L. said...

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!