Sunday, September 16, 2012

Raspberry Buttermilk Cake


During the school year I am really good about making a homemade meal 5 days of the week. I enjoy cooking and so it's not a terrible chore for me. I'll admit I am pretty exhausted after teaching during the day and then working out right after, so I won't say no if John ever suggests we just need to do take out so we won't be eating dinner past 10pm. Work plus cooking though means I usually don't have time to make much else. Extra treats for others are very rare.

The summer, on the other hand, is baking palooza for me! I feel like I have to make up for the lost time during the teaching months and so I pull out all the sweet recipes cached away in emails, books, and binders. This Raspberry Buttermilk Cake recipe is one that I pulled off a blog a few years ago. I made it for the second time this summer and it did not disappoint! It's a simple, quick cake that's perfect for just you, a couple, or a small family.  I can also see it working out as a nice breakfast cake.  Yes, cake can be eaten for breakfast, or elevenses. I picture myself eating this cake in my dream farmhouse on a simple rustic wood table surveying my pet bunnies nibbling clover on the front lawn.

I wish I kept the link for this recipe, but I didn't (pre-Pinterest days people), so I apologize to whoever I am copying this from.

Raspberry Buttermilk Cake
Adapted from Gourmet, June 2009

This can be made with any kind of berry. Makes one, thin 9-inch cake.

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup plus 1/1/2 tsp sugar, divided
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. finely grated lemon zest (optional)
1 large egg
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup fresh raspberries

Preheat oven to 400 F with rack in middle. Butter and flour a 9-inch round pan.

Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and set aside.  In a larger bowl, beat butter and 2/3 cup sugar with an electric mixer at medium-high speed for three minutes, then beat in vanilla and zest. *Add eggs and beat well.

At low speed, mix in flour mixture in three batches, alternating with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour, and mixing until just combined.  Spoon batter into cake pan, smoothing top. Scatter raspberries evenly over top and sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 tsp. of sugar.

Bake until cake is golden and a wooden toothpick in the center comes out clean, 17-18 min. Cool in pan for 10 min., invert onto a rack and cool 10 min. more.  Invert onto plate and serve.

*I'm sure I've mentioned this before but my organic chemistry professor at BYU, a former Dupont chemist, once told us that the most important step in baking is sufficiently beating the eggs with the butter/sugar mixture.  This is because eggs are full of hydrophilic (water loving) molecules and butter, like oil, is hydrophobic (water hating).  To get them to combine and to get a fluffy baked good you need to "Beat the HECK out of  the butter and the eggs!" which to me means about 4 minutes.

4 comments:

holtkamp said...

4 minutes?! i'll have to beat my eggs better! was this the same professor that knew of the best face wash/product? if so, did they ever reveal what brand it was?

Melinda said...

Well, maybe more like 3 min. Yes! It was that same professor! He was always full of these practical tips! I don't think he ever revealed that face wash though!

Katie Groneman said...

This looks so tasty! Wish I had made it when I had fresh raspberries... maybe there's still time!

Emily said...

Which o chem professor was that? I actually learned that in o chem too but from my t.a. Ha. This looks delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!