Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Castaway on the Moon




I not a follower of Korean Cinema, but the cover still for this movie on Netflix looked appealing and I put it in the queue.  With nothing to watch one night, I started this one and was very pleasantly surprised at how much I liked it. It's strange, but for me it was strange in a good way.  The story focuses on a man who tries to commit suicide by jumping off a bridge, but fails and ends up being washed ashore an island in the middle of the city.

In a quirky way, the movie touches upon the loneliness and isolation that can be caused by a fast paced life and immersion in technology.  I just finished re-reading The Heart is a Lonely Hunter and a quote from the book reminded me of this theme: "It was funny, too, how lonesome a person could be in a crowded house." Highlights for me: growing crops from bird droppings and hope being symbolized by Korean black bean noodles.

No comments: