Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Trip to Little Tokyo


















This should really be called, What We Saw and All that We Ate There. My posts are going to be a little out of order as I have rolls of film half finished.

Back in November my parents planned a trip to  J-town. The main point was that my mom wanted us and the nieces and nephews to learn more about our heritage through visiting the newly redone Japanese American History Museum in Los Angeles. The exhibit was super interesting and focused on the arrival of the first Japanese immigrants in the United States, the years of internment during WWII, and the period afterward. Fortunately, (unfortunately?) some of us were intercepted in the very beginning of the museum by an elderly docent who had served in the U.S. 442nd Infantry Regiment. We heard stories, lots of stories that were fascinating, but in the end started to blend and weave through time.  Our minds got a little clouded and we started running out of positions to shift our feet in so they wouldn't ache.  I saw my dad look over out the of the corner of my eye.  He paused to see who we were talking to and then hurried onto the next section, leaving us as prey for further story telling.  Ah! I sound so terrible and ungrateful! It was good, really good! It just would have been better at the end of the exhibit rather than at the beginning. I kept telling Thaddy that this was an excellent primary source if any of the kids ever wrote a report on the events. We learned a lot and I will always remember those stories of sacrifice and service.

No comments: