Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Halloween Countdown: Books


I really like Halloween. I used to think it was because of the costumes, but honestly I never had a really good one since my ballerina fairy get-up in kindergarten. So, I don't really know why I like it. Maybe it's just the time of year. I've always liked fall. In honor of the upcoming holiday I thought I'd do a few themed posts.

First, The Gates, by John Connolly. A great young adult fiction book that ties in quantum mechanics with Halloween, precocious children, and a loyal dachshund. As we were talking about atomic theory today in my science class, I had to bring up this book.

As John has written in his review, "The Gates has a very light tone. The author uses the well known British humo(u)r to keep a story about Hell, demons, and the end of the world, appropriate to younger kids. The same humo(u)r might make you laugh out loud."

Other favorite Halloween books: The Collected Workds of Edgar Allan Poe and the second chapter of The Last of the Very Great Whangdoodles, by Julie Andrews.

1 comment:

Emily said...

I've never heard of this book. I might have to check it out. :) Love EAP and don't remember the second chapter of Julie Andrews' book but I know I read if forever ago. . . .