Friday, September 30, 2011

Weekends

Last weekend was super busy, but one of the best I've had.

The busy part - I had a three day conference in Salt Lake for school.  I had to prepare sub plans for two days. One day was Saturday. It's always a bit disappointing to work a full week and have to go in on the weekend, and then grade papers when you get home.

On a positive note, it was a very uplifting conference! The whole thing focused on PLC's - Professional Learning Communities. It's the new movement in education right now that focuses on the belief that every student can learn.  The steps to achieve this are a lot more complicated than it sounds, but I won't go into it now.  My school has been doing a lot with implementing this through for the last several years.

The best part - My parents came to town and stayed with us! It was my dad's 50th high school reunion for Jordan High.  As you may know, the original school is now a movie theater. He had a lot of fun and was called up to give a surprise speech because he was senior class president. Afterward we all met up at Cafe Trio for dinner.

My mom and I also were able to attend the General Relief Society Meeting together at the conference center down town.  It was wonderful and so fun to be there with my mother! While we were at the meeting, John and my Dad went to see Money Ball.  Brad Pitt's character is an alumni of my old high school in San Diego.

The best part of the weekend though was that John and I were able to go to the Oquirrh Mountain temple with my parents to perform sealings for my mother's side of the family.  My mother was also able to be sealed to her deceased parents. I cannot accurately describe the warm and joyful feelings in the room at the time, but it was one of the most special experiences of my life.  I loved my grandparents and am so happy that we will be with them forever.

As you can see, I didn't take any pictures. 

This weekend I'm going to try to take it easy, watch General Conference, grade like crazy to get my gradebook updated for parent teacher conferences next week, eat some wings (I don't know why I'm craving this lately!), and watch old episodes of *The Secret Life of the American Teenager on netflix.

*This had a little to do with the dress code post.  Teenage pregnancies worry me. There was a discussion in one of the episodes about how dressing sexy as a teen is asking for sex and John and I spent an evening talking about setting rules, teaching, and approaching teenagers about such things.

5 comments:

holtkamp said...

we're both dying to see moneyball! we've read the book a couple of times but just haven't gotten around to the theatre.

how do you like trio? i only went there once but i liked it.

holtkamp said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emily said...

I'm curious about your PLCs. What a great weekend! I'm glad you got to see your parents and go to the RS meeting and the temple. Also, I've never seen that show but remember wanting to see an episode.

Melinda said...

@Jen we do like Trio! But I still like Pizzeria 712 and Em's more. Em's was all booked that night because of the R.S. meeting I think. I always get the ravioli with butternut squash puree at Trio with the goat cheese, balsamic pita bread as a starter. I need to call you back!

Melinda said...

@Emily, that show is actually a little cheesy, I'll admit it! In fact now that I've gotten to the 7th episode or so, I think I'm over it. The first few were interesting though. Made me think of how we should talk to kids about such issues.