Tuesday, June 7, 2011

City Mouse or Country Mouse?


This is a question we've asked ourselves a lot since being married.  I often try to figure out where our final destination may be, if indeed we have one.  We've visited a couple of big cities and decided that although city life is fast, fashionable, fun, and exciting, it is just not us.  I think the city is a wonderful place to visit, but maybe not the place for us to settle. The funny thing is I wanted that to be us, but it just doesn't click with our personalities.  I've come to accept that.  John, especially, likes a laid back pace and detests crowds.

So what am I dreaming of now? A white farm house with a long porch and a modern and simplistic interior, pet bunny, a few chickens (so we can have our own eggs), a big garden with herbs and fresh vegetables, and trees - Lots and Lots of trees! Maybe a dog for John. I'd hang my butterfly nets on wooden pegs in the entryway and possibly have a darkroom stashed somewhere on the side. There would be a grassy clearing under an archway of leafy branches to dine with friends and family outdoors. So, for now I'm thinking country mouse, but a country mouse within reasonable driving distance of the city so we can be near to family.

If you're scratching your head thinking this fantasy doesn't sound very original, you're right! These sugar plum dreams dancing around in my head are mixed with snapshots of the Emerson Farm! We would just need to transplant it to the west.

5 comments:

Emily said...

Let me know when you find the perfect spot! I'd love to be close to a city but not in a big city. Tyrone definitely likes the open. Your dream home sounds just lovely. PS we got chickens!

holtkamp said...

i think we're definitely surburban mice. we love dc but hate the traffic. the nice thing is if you drive just 30 minutes outside dc you feel like you're in the middle of nowhere and there are tons of trees. hopefully this will convince you to move out here! you can have the best of both worlds!

i guess the only downside is that you wouldn't be close to either family. BUT there's two airports out here :)

Melinda said...

@Emily you're so lucky you have chickens! You'll have to let me know how the eggs are and everything. Have fun!
@Jen we do need to come out East and visit you and John's family!

Jen said...

Do you remember how the guy that moved into that white house on the corner in Provo after me had chickens? He had all these papers from the city to prove that it was legal too! Maybe you could still begin to live the dream now?

Kristen said...

Sounds perfect. I would love a country mouse place like that also.