Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Bayou


John and I have a strange obsession/curiosity for the South.  This probably stems from riding Pirates of the Caribbean one too many times as a child and also from the jealousy of the families that got to eat at the restaurant inside the ride. My mom was always very frugal and would pack us a lunch when we went to amusement parks or the zoo.  

Last week my Southern craving was so strong, I watched the only free movie I could find on Netflix about the South: The Skeleton Key. Not my most favorite movie, but the scenery did the trick to appease my fascination.  The next day I saw a photo shoot  titled "A Southern Romance" on Ruche (it's lovely!). After that, I needed more, so I started doing random google image searches on the word Bayou which led me to find this comic, Bayou by Jeremy Love.  I'm intrigued.  It's supposed to be a Gothic Southern Fairy Tale, and there are multiple pictures of bunnies. It's published through DC comics which is known for being gory, so I don't know if I'd be able to handle that well or not.  Have you ever heard Spawn? It's another DC comic. My brother used to buy and sell the series in high school. I am now forever traumatized of the ice cream man.

8 comments:

ThingsISayOutloud said...

You and John should come visit me in Kentucky!! You can come for one of our muggy summers, or come in the fall/spring and we can go to the horse races!!

Jen said...

That is a really cool picture! The size & color of the bunny reminds me of Bella. Speaking of Bayou... Have you ever tried the SLC restaurant called The Bayou? It's probably my new favorite restaurant ever. I think you & John would love it! http://www.utahbayou.com/

Jen said...

If you go, try their Cajun pasta, catfish or gumbolaya. Sooo good! :)

Emily said...

It's one of my life goals to eat at the restaurant in Pirates of the Caribbean.

holtkamp said...

that's funny! i guess i haven't thought too much about the south, but peach cobbler on a southern plantation would be nice :) (ok, i don't know if that's even a thing)

Melinda said...

Stacey, we should totally come out to visit some day! Reunion time! And JP, I've heard good things about the Bayou restaurant. Carl went there once and said the food was good and the atmosphere was fun.

Kristen said...

I am too! Mesmerized by it in fact - I love all things Southern except the humidity will keep me away forever.

Melinda said...

I totally agree about humidity! That's one thing that makes Utah alright. Lots of good, non-frizzy hair days.