Saturday, April 2, 2011

Late Celebration

 

 

John has been working late this week so we decided to save my birthday celebration until the weekend.  I came home from work to a vase full of deep purple tulips and irises.  My dear friend Angie was in Utah so I got to meet up with her and JP over ice cream on this finally sunny day.  I miss Ange! It was fun to reminisce about college days and discuss new lives in work and as mothers and wives.  I also got to see JP's little Izzy for the first time!

After our small get-together, John and I finished a couple of shots for my project and then headed south.  We stopped at one of my personal heavens: Noah's Animal Ark in Orem! Haha! Probably not the typical thing people get excited about, but it was my birthday request.  I cooed over the baby bunnies, browsed the puppies, and had fun observing the snakes, geckos, and frogs.  There was even a sign for a "Tiny, Tiny, Tiny, Bunny!" I had to laugh at that sales strategy.  They have me pegged there.  As we headed out, a disoriented little girl almost hopped into our car with us.  I think she was pretty embarrassed when she realized her mistake. 

With a preliminary dousing of hand sanitizer, we devoured a delicious dinner at Pizzeria 712.  My pizza had truffles, goat cheese, Parmesan, and mozzarella.  John's was topped with arugula, caramelized onions, slab bacon, and Gouda.  We also tried some Australian root beer, but I didn't like it much.  The most entertaining part of the night was eavesdropping on the first date conversation at the table next to us.  It went something like this: 

Guy: "I like just about all food except Chinese food in China."
Girl: "Yeah, they have nasty stuff like all these boiled eggs! Ha ha! When I was over there I lost like 10 lbs.! I was only over there for a week!"
Guy: "Oh. Are you one of those people whose weight fluctuates a lot?"

Way to screen them for future chunkiness. I don't think there's going to be a second date there.  At the end of a meal the restaurant now gives you a cute pack of basil seeds to plant in your own garden.  I'm excited to try mine! Here's hoping the snow stays away.


9 comments:

ThingsISayOutloud said...

This post had me laughing so hard (at the date commentary), and crying a bit that I missed the reunion!. We'll have to schedule an ACTUAL, OFFICIAL reunion where Jen and I get to come sometime! Love you guys!!

Stacey

holtkamp said...

yeah, i'm all for a terrace reunion! ha, ha!

i really think you should get a dog! it could even be a 'tiny tiny tiny' dog!

i miss pizzeria 712 (and thai chili gardens while i'm thinking about orem restaurants) i still remmeber that great potato pizza i had for geli's birthday!

we're actually planting cilantro today! how your basil does well!

Kristen said...

The funny thing about that is the girl is probably telling everyone she met her future husband and is waiting for him to call - he on the other hand cannot get the 10# thing out of his head and will NOT call!!!

That is some fancy pizza for an abandoned building! YUM! Glad you finally got to go and celebrate!

Emily said...

Fun birthday! That pizza looks really good! I love baby animals. :) Hahaha about the first date.

Emily said...

PS I really like that picture of you! You look great in stripes!

angie said...

Mmmm...those pizzas look like perfection! It was so nice to see you and JP! (move to CO please!) :)

Anne said...

Your pictures are so cute and that goat cheese pizza sounds crazy delicious. I used to eat that all the time in France but people here always gross out about it. I'm going to have to make one now, thanks for the inspiration! The date commentary was killing me. So funny.

Tara said...

Wishing my birthday dinners yielded such tasty fun! Also, sudden longings for the humor that living in Provo used to bring... (Sigh) Can't say I miss the dating game though!

Melinda said...

Yeah, I so glad dating is over too!