Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Our Aspirations Are Wrapped Up in Books

We are disappointed that Borders is closing their store here, but we were excited about the stock liquidation.  This is the only sale I've ever seen John excited about, ever.  Here's the haul list:
  1. Hard back edition of East of Eden
  2. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
  3. For Whom the Bell Tolls
  4. 2 Moleskine pocket notebooks
  5. PDN magazine
  6. American Photo Magazine
  7. 2 Baby shower cards
  8. Dragon Prince
  9. A Mitch Rapp Book
There were so many more good books and even though we got a good amount, we're still trying to be wise with spending so we didn't purchase everything that was enticing.  There were a couple of nice photography books that I kind of wanted.  One was Avedon's fashion and the other was an Arbus collection.  They were still expensive on sale though.  The Avedon one was $100 full price and was going to for $80.  I just couldn't do that. The night we went was also the most crowded I've ever seen a bookstore.  It was a little dizzying trying to go through the books and find the ones we wanted.  It reminded me of when I used to work as a stock girl for the Nordstrom's Anniversary sales back in the summers of college.  Women would fast walk to the rounders and tables grabbing things in a frenzy. Luckily it seems that us book-ish types aren't quite as competitive as shopping divas which made things much more pleasant. 

Gone are our long reading dates to the local Borders.  I will miss my tea and comfy leather chair as I browse literature and magazines. I will miss being able to combine shopping with a book store trip.  It was the only bait I had to bribe John to go anywhere near clothing with me.  At least we still have The King's English and Sam Weller's.  There's also Barnes and Noble.  I wonder how long they will last though.  I still can't bring myself to purchase a Kindle or similar device.  Even though I understand and appreciate the convenience and may even consider one for traveling, I think I have a tactile need to grasp paper and ink.

2 comments:

holtkamp said...

you guys sure cleaned up! i feel the same way about e-readers. dave got a nook and he really likes it, especially for trips, but he will still buy the paper copy if it's a book he really wants or will be re-reading.

julianne rose said...

ah! the borders at riverwoods is closing?! oh my goodness that was a staple hang out place for me when i was in provo! how sad sad sad :(