Thursday, March 3, 2011

Dorthea Lang Exhibit at the MOA


There's finally a photography exhibit at the BYU! John and I are planning a date down to old P-town very soon.  Photographer Emily Shur wrote a nice review of Lang's work and life that I found insightful.  I'm sure you've seen her photos in your middle and high school text books teaching about the Great Depression.  And hooray for black and white prints! As much as I do love color, I sometimes find myself relating to this quote:

"I hate Technicolor.  Everybody in a Technicolor movie seems to feel obliged to wear a lurid costume in each new scene and to stand around like a clotheshorse with a lot of very green trees or very yellow wheat or very blue ocean rolling away for miles and miles in every direction."
- Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar

Perhaps I don't feel quite as strong about it as Esther Greenwood, but black and white slows things down, helps one focus on composition and the subject, and is some how soothing for me. 

Photo by Dorthea Lang via Brigham Young Museum of Art

No comments: