Friday, December 31, 2010

The Return of the Native

My local Walgreens has officially failed me! There was lots of dust and strange digital artifacts from the scanning around people's faces. Looks like I'll be going to the one that's further away. There was also a lot of horizontal banding on the negatives. We're trying to find out if it's my camera or their developing machine. My greatest fear is that it's light leaks from my camera. I love my ZX-5! Since my roll from the tide pools didn't turn out, here are John's pictures. Thank goodness for back up. One of our Christmas eve activities was re-visiting Bird Rock Tide Pools.


Due to the heavy rain and storms that had pounded southern California, the arch of the actual bird rock had collapsed. Sad, but I thought it was still beautiful.

The water was a little icy.

The Abbey Road of San Diego.


No sea hares this time but we found a lot of other fun invertebrates: 3 star fish, a giant limpet, hermit crabs, anemones, and a Goliath red crab that we unsuccessfully tried to pull out of the water with John's flip flops.



James kept his shoes on this time! No bloody toes. In fact everyone kept the cardinal tide pool rule.






After the disaster from last time, this trip was magical. The tide was also very low (-0.8). Apparently the tidal pull is stronger in the winter. Next trip we'll try Point Loma.

4 comments:

holtkamp said...

i love the tidepools! glad you guys had a safe return!

Jed Henry said...

you really took some beautiful shots, here, Melinda.

John said...

Jed, those are actually my shots. I'm the unappreciated talent here, Melinda gets all the glory! Her star is high, but it will fall! One day, my star will rise, one day...

angie said...

Wow! Looks like lots of fun...I've been aching for a trip...now I know where to go!