Wednesday, October 6, 2010

My Uncle with the President



President Barack Obama and his guests applaud after signing S.1055, a bill to grant the Congressional Gold Medal, collectively, to the 100th Infantry Battalion and the 442nd Regimental Combat Team, in recognition of their dedicated service during World War II, in the Oval Office, October 5, 2010. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

My Uncle was present to witness the bestowal of an award of honor from President Obama granted to the Japanese Americans who fought to protect and prove their loyalty during WWII. As you may know, this was also during the time when many of their relatives were being forced to leave their homes and property and were driven into internment camps due to irrational fears and racism. Sometimes I think history is repeating itself when I read and hear some of the extreme comments that are made today concerning the topics of immigration and Islam.

My uncle Floyd works with Senator Inouye in D.C. and has previously worked as president of the Japanese American Citizens League (JACL). Our family has very mixed political views. Some, like my father, aren't big Obama fans, while others are more supportive. I suppose it's this way in every family, but I think the diversity of logical thought in any group is a good thing.

You can read more about the stories of these Battalion members and the award here.

5 comments:

Emily said...

That is so awesome!!

holtkamp said...

i saw this on the news, i didn't know your uncle was there! i'm glad they are finally recognizing this batallion.

Tara said...

Very cool about your uncle. I was at a bookgroup tonight, and we were discussing how crazy people can be about other cultures and/or religions. However, I will add my own "extreme comment:" Japanese internment was such a farce. Absolutely ridiculous to do that to our own countrymen and their families. May we apply this hindsight to the future!

Kristen said...

How exciting! Obama fan or not - what an honor to be in the Oval Office meeting the President!

Tanei Atagi said...

WOW! This is incredible, Melinda. I don't know much about this, so I am excited to learn more. Thanks for sharing!