Sunday, July 18, 2010

Memory Keeping



Some people have asked me what I plan on doing with our vacation pictures. Well, I was thinking of something similar to what's pictured above.

I'm not really into scrap booking. I know a statement like this probably makes me unpopular in these parts and I hope for no burning crosses in my yard tomorrow. I think people are amazing for being able to make those cut outs and buy all the matching stickers and paper. I respect their dedication, but it drives me crazy to even try. Exhibit 1: unfinished high school scrapbook for my YW in Excellence Award.

But, I do like decoupage and I like to draw, and I like to take pictures, so the sketchbook is my friend, and I think I prefer this method of preserving my memories. It's a little less constricting for me.

Some cool examples: Angela Kohler's Polaroids and submissions on the moleskine website. In this one they even diagrammed their meals!

Photo scan from Aperture, Summer 2010 issue

4 comments:

Tanei Atagi said...

Melinda,

I'm with you on the scrapbooking! Other people are really good at it, and that's awesome, but not me. Angela Kohler's are gorgeous, she's very skilled with tape! Can't wait to see them! Let's get together pre-school starting!

Melinda said...

Yes Tanei! We should get together! When does school start back up for you?(that's a terrible thing for me to make you think about!). We have a family reunion and San Deigo trip but we'll be free the week of August 2nd and August 16th.

holtkamp said...

i really like these, a great alternative to the traditional (mormon) scrapbooking :)

Emily said...

These are great ideas- totally better than traditional scrapbooking.

We enlarged and framed some of our prints to display in our house. I also made a book on a program like snapfish or shutterfly.

Can't wait to see what you do!