Monday, May 17, 2010

Summer Plans

It barely reaches spring and now I'm on to summer, possibly because this spring hasn't been a very warm one and also because my students and I are getting tired of being in school. So far in my teaching career I have been able to avoid working in the summers. I am very grateful to John and his job which allows me this most joyous break each year.

My first summer off as a teacher I babysat for a friend. Last summer I took a photography class. This summer will be the summer of family and travel. Both my good friend and John's brother will have weddings in June and then we are off to Portugal and Spain! Hooray! This will be our first trip with just the two of us. In July we have a family reunion with John's side at Bear Lake and then in August we'll be roadtripping it to California to see my family. I still haven't decided if I want to go to my high school reunion which will be around the same time as our trip. John said that having Adam Lambert there might be reason enough to go (he was in my graduating class), but I'm doubtful. I have never watched American Idol or any of those live competition shows.

Although this is a pretty packed, but fun summer I still like to keep busy in the days between big events or I start to drive John insane. Here's my list of summer goals with some other things I want to do:
  1. Work on refining and reformatting science lessons 1-2 hours a day
  2. Finish reading photography text book ___ pgs a week
  3. Read - finish A Moveable Feast, Tess of the D'Ubervilles, E.O. Wilson's The Naturalist. Any other suggestions?
  4. Get buff
  5. Make a plan for taking photo classes at night for the next couple of years - a photo major?
The random: Goshen for butterfly catching, picnic at Big Springs, hike Bear Trap Fork, watching world cup on TV, camping, bonfires, fruit stand peaches in Orem and cherries in Santaquin, take pictures, Asian Invasion Party. So much to look forward to and too little patience left for 7th grade follies. Two weeks, two days.

4 comments:

Emily said...

Yeah for summer! Yours sounds SO fun! If you want any Spain tips, send me an email: emmillee@gmail.com

holtkamp said...

sounds like a good summer...i like your 'get buff' goal :)

Kali said...

Your summer list sounds so delightful! Wish I were closer and I would LOVE to go catch butterflies with you. I DO have a classroom set of bug nets :)

I love that you added a link to your class blog. maybe its weird but it is fun to peruse. I miss teaching sometimes...

What photography textbook are you reading? Is it through a class? What classes have you taken, where etc? sorry, 20 questions. I have been mulling over a photography night class for some time. I know I would thoroughly enjoy it.

Melinda said...

I'm glad someone besides my students find that science class blog interesting!

The photography text book I have was part of a class I took last summer. It's called Photography & Digital Imaging, Revised 5th Edition by Marvin J. Rosen and David L. Devires.

The class I took was Photography 1 at Salt Lake Community College. It's the first intro class for photography majors. We learned about the basics of using both a film and digital camera. Clone stamp, dodge, and burn on photoshop, and how to develop film by hand and use the dark room. It was a lot of work but it was super fun!