Monday, May 3, 2010

Lahaina Hongwanji Mission




















I was so thankful I was able to attend my Grandmother's funeral to pay my respects to her life full of kindness and also to be with members of my family. Buddhist funerals are so different from my church's funeral services and very interesting. The reverend spoke with my Uncle before the service and took care to make the service personal to my mother's family. My grandmother was always gentle and helpful to everyone and it was so nice to see the Japanese community and extended family come to say goodbye.

*Thank you Jen for watching my classes! I know my kids were in good hands while I was gone.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

beckie said...

Even though I know it was sad, it looked very beautiful. Sometimes I envy other cultures their deep heritage and rituals.

I know our church is beautiful too but their is something about ancient culture that we lack.