Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Yes I love technology, but not as much as art you see

Adobe's new creative suite containing CS5 came out this week. I don't actually own Photoshop CS4 so I don't know all the specifics on how it's better. We had two lessons total on Photoshop in my class at SLCC: digital dodge and burn and dust spot correction. John refuses to buy any Adobe software because he believes one can use Gimp (free online software) to do the same things that $700-$999 can buy. I've considered giving up my clothing budget for the year to get it, but the John remains firm that until I try to master Gimp I can't complain.

Rick shared this clip with us that shows what the new "content aware fill" feature can do, but comments have mentioned here as well that Gimp can do it too and has been for five years. Still, it's almost like magic and I almost feel a little dubious that it can be done that consistently. Could it content aware fill my face if half of it was missing?


"CS5 will also contain a Witchcraft and Sorcery patch featuring Intelligent Design 2.0"

Currently, I use the Photoshop elements that came free with our film scanner. I think it has a $75 value. Not prime stuff, but it'll do for cloning out dust spots and minor color adjustments that need to be made due to the quality of our scanner.

Coming from a completely amateur point of view, I kind of have a love hate relationship with Photoshop. On one hand it's really nice compared to spot toning pictures by hand or developing three test prints to get the right contrast, but I also think it has a tendency to make lazy photographers. Also, I get tired of seeing some of the same gimmicky looks (i.e. gaussian blur, imitation polaroid actions, gaussian blur . . .) Gross. I guess to sum up my thoughts on photo editing I think that it's alright to use technology to compensate for the shortcomings of technology, but not for the shortcomings of the photographer.

*John wanted you to know that there are online tutorials for Gimp. Here is another one.

6 comments:

Anne said...

I have a love hate with photoshop, too. I need to learn it. But I hate when things are so overdone that it doesn't look at all like it started out. Like some of my friends kids' pictures- they don't even resemble the final product, especially with the glowly blue Dune eyes! It's all trendy and fun but I like your straight up beautiful pictures better for sure!

beckie said...

Once you get to know photoshop, its not that bad. And you also learn that there are a lot of things that it cannot do without a lot of time to fix your photos.

I have learned that it is just better and faster to take a good picture then to have to go through all your film and edit everything.

Word on the gaussian blur thing! and I hate when you can tell that the person has iPhoto and just uses the edge blue effects. Gag me now, poser artists.

beckie said...

oh and I love photoshop because I don't want people to see how tired I am. Or my R.S. arms...

whitney allison said...

I was just talking about over editing to a friend the other day! If a good photograph is taken there is little to no need for any editing. I remember learning about editing in high school and it was a piece of card board on a stick that you literally moved around between the photopaper and the enlarger to blur any imperfections! Kids these days, they have it too easy.

Wiwi Kalawi said...

This might be a long shot, but with CS5 coming out, it could mean CS4 version Photoshop is now being discounted. I originally got the entire Creative Suite 2 for $200 at the BYU bookstore when CS3 was just about to come out. It might be worth looking into right now.

Melinda said...

Thanks for the reminder! I think I'll call the BYU bookstore this weekend. CS4 for $200 would be an awesome deal, even if it's not the latest anymore.