Thursday, March 25, 2010

Absinthe & Bullfighting


In preparation for our trip to Portugal and Spain, I decided to finish Hemmingway's The Sun Also Rises. I started it a year ago during silent reading at school, but soon became annoyed by Lady Brett Ashley. My friend, Jen, encouraged me to pick it up again, and I must say, in the end I did enjoy it; I rather liked the fishing scenes and the description of the San Fermin fiesta in Pamplona. I still can't decide if I'm a huge Hemmingway fan or not. I've read this, A Farewell to Arms (OK), and then listened to The Old Man and the Sea (loved!) read by Donald Sutherland, on a road trip. My brother Dave is obsessed with Hemmingway, so much so, that for his birthday his wife got him a membership to the Hemmingway Society. I don't know what they do in this group. Maybe it's similar La Table Elitare.

7 comments:

Anne said...

I love a Moveable Feast! It's my favorite of his, though I haven't read much I'll admit. Now I want to hear about your trip- when are you going?

whitney allison said...

Really? Hemingway? I read A Farewell To Arms and another one in highschool that I can't think of and I never liked either of them. I realize there is something to be said for simplicity but for me...its kind of like modern art...can't anyone do it?

Emily said...

I've only read A Farewell to Arms and wasn't too impressed. Maybe I'll have to try again. Now, let's hear some details of your trip! If you're going to southern Spain, we've got lots of info, pics, etc to share! Ooh and get some canas- I crave them regularly!

David said...

Here's what I've found- the ladies typically don't like Farewell to Arms or parts of the Sun Also Rises because of how Hemingway portrays the womem (they are quite annoying). If you fall into that category, don't give up on Hemingway. A Moveable Fest is soooo good (lost generation in 1920's Paris) and For Whom the Bell Tolls is the best book ever written (Spanish Civil War & love story) besides the Princess Bride and Lord of the Rings, of course. In regards to what we do in the "Society", sorry I can't disclose that unless you know the handshake....

molly said...

When I went to Spain I decided to read Don Quixote... um shocker, I made it 75 pages in, and gave up. Someday I'll come back to it.

p.s. I find you delightful!

holtkamp said...

yea i'm glad you read it :) i thought everyone like hemingway but from these comments, maybe not....ha, ha

Melinda said...

I think I will have to read a Moveable Feast now. Maybe there is still hope for me and Hemmingway. As for our trip we're going to leave at the end of June. We're visiting Lisbon, Evora, and the Algarve. We'll also spend 1-2 days in Sevilla. Since it's only two hour drive across the border I thought it would be a shame to fly all that way and not see a little of Spain.