Sunday, October 11, 2009

Costume

Halloween is for kids right? But it's also my favorite holiday! I don't know why. I guess I like the scary ghost stuff, pumpkins, and a final celebration before it gets too cold to walk outside without a heavy duty coat. In the past couple of years I haven't really dressed up. I've put some odds and ends stuff together, but they always ends up looking lame. Being a teacher gives me some incentive to pull together a good costume because the kids kind of expect it and I think you score secret coolness points with them the better your costume is. Let's face it, in middle school it's all about appearing cool (whether you are in actuality is a whole other story . . .) So, this year I'm planning on being . . . drumroll . . . ME! haha! Well, Japanese me.


I've always wanted an excuse to buy a kimono, but they're so darn expensive because they're silk. So I'm settling with a yukata, which is a summer, cotton version of a kimono. Picture the above look with the pattern below. Hopefully I get it together and actually order it this year.


Oh yeah, I have no idea how to tie the obi (sash). I tried to watch a video on youtube to learn once, but it made about as much sense as the jet pack instructions on Arrested Development. I also want to dress up John as Steve from Blues Clues.

Yukata pictures: Yukata Kimono Market Sakura

2 comments:

Emily said...

yeah! can't wait to see how it turns out!

holtkamp said...

for most girls, halloween is an excuse to dress skanky. i'm glad it's a good excuse for you to buy a kimono :)