Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Focus

When I take pictures with my Mamiya 645, a medium format camera, I often have problems focusing correctly on a low F-stop in anything other than full sun. The camera is all manual and the mirror is dirty. Getting pictures with a narrow depth of field and having face, eyes, etc. sharply focused is something I need to improve.

When my brother was serving his mission in Guatemala a long time ago, they would show old films that were on reels. These films were about the LDS church, baptism, service and similar religious topics. As the movie began the screen would do the old fashioned count down starting at 1, 2, 3, and then "focus". Well, not knowing a ton of English, one of the Guatemalan men that was investigating the church sat down to watch one of these film reels and started exclaiming,"Foc-us! Foc-us!" over and over again. He thought that foc was the F-word and couldn't believe they were showing it in church. I can't remember if he ended up getting baptized. Now when I'm taking pictures I have this little Guatemalan accented voice shouting "FOC-US!" at me in my head. It's a little unnerving.

2 comments:

Anne said...

That story is cracking me up!

holtkamp said...

i'm sure i could find you a little guatemalan to yell 'focus' at you :)