Sunday, August 2, 2009

"Welcome to the D&D World!"

I hope you still think well of us after reading this. When John was in middle school he loved to read a Dungeons and Dragons based book series called Dragon Lance. He actually rereads them and there are two under his nightstand at this very second. I grew up with two older brothers, so I read a couple of D&D books in my tweens where I learned the nerd definitions of words such as cleric, mage, manticore, and The Beholder. After getting caught by one of the D&D lovers for using the word paladin in a creative writing story, I steered clear of the books forever.

Yesterday was Saturday and I had discovered a Dragon Lance cartoon in the instant Netflix DVDs. I thought John would enjoy this so we put on the movie. It was 2 hours long complete with weird animation, the voice of Kiefer Sutherland as an effeminate wizard, and a blatant focus on big breasted women. This was obviously not a child's cartoon but something strange made for nostalgic Quill and the Sword Club adults. We watched the full two hours of the movie and then proceeded to look for a sequel. What does this say about us?! Afterward, inspired by our previous viewing, we played an hour of Shadows over Mystara, an old D&D arcade game that John downloaded from the internet. John played the cleric and I was the magic user. We have officially lost the right to make fun of those people that have the Nerf sword battles. This is a sad day.

*OK, so we don't think we could ever really stop laughing at those people, but now you can also laugh at us!

3 comments:

beckie said...

Equally nerdy, my brothers and I used to play this game called Dragon Strike. Kind of like D&D. I don't think I've ever admitted this to anyone. Oh and there were cartoons that came with the game too. We used to quote them like a normal movie.

Sad.

holtkamp said...

are you sure you didn't go to those D&D parties in middle school?!

Melinda said...

I'm glad I'm not alone! And Jen, I NEVER hung out with Peter Tweeter and the G.A.T.E. gang! I just wasn't hardcore enough for them and they would never accept me. Wait, didn't you go?!