Wednesday, July 22, 2009

"Erase, replace, embrace, new face, come on!"

I'll give you a big thumbs up if you can name the group that sings that.

Anyways, in church this last week the topic was on provident living. This is John's most favorite subject next to budgets and financial planning. John likes to live cheap, and I mean really cheap. Ask him about the apartments he lived in during college. Ask him how often he buys clothes or anything else for that matter. He lives simply and likes it that way. I, on the other hand, also enjoy budgets, but also enjoy a little spending here and there. Living in the Philippines I learned that I can live on rice, tuna, and bananas for a year and a half and be fine, but also that I'd rather not if I don't have to.

Something that stood out to me today was a list that was given of things that we can do that don't require money. Sometimes it seems like we'll get bored if we have free time, but not any money to spend, but it doesn't have to be that way. In other words, I could improve.

I think this list was prefaced with "replacing worldly wants" or something along those lines. This is nothing new, but it was good for me to hear and it got me thinking of what I could do better. Here is the list along with some thoughts.

1. Develop talents - for me singing because I'm lousy at it (if we ever get a keyboard), soccer, running, cooking, taking pictures - but not film, film is not cheap!
2. Develop family relationships - call family, write letters to cute nieces and nephews, write to my brothers and sisters
3. Increasing in spirituality - read the scriptures, write thoughts in journal, go to the temple
4. Increase in knowledge - read: go to the library, read at the bookstore, I don't have to always buy books
5. Increase in cleanliness - my own thought. Things can seem like new once they're clean, mended, or reorganized. My house can never be too clean for me. My sister Michelle would always take really good care of her shoes. I remember her sitting on the patio and cleaning her old shell-toe Adidas with soap, water and a tooth brush. She's a good example to me of taking care of what you have and managing money.
6. Take a walk - my own thought again. My dad would always take us on walks when we were little and you learn a lot about where you live and who you live by when you do.

The talk also ended with emphasizing that we should replace the things we do that cause us to spend money with the things on the list because those things are more important. Of course you sometimes need to spend money on a house, a car, an education, and your health, but there's a lot that we don't need that we tend to get caught up in.

6 comments:

Heidi said...

thanks for that thought - I needed to hear it!

Heidi said...

oh yeah - TLC and it is come on...

Anne said...

Good list... as much as I love shopping it's not a great hobby! :) As for photography... film and developing is a lot of fun, but I do appreciate the free processing of digital!

Melinda said...

Thanks Heidi for catching my spelling mistake! Fixed now!

Emily said...

Great list and great reminders. :)

holtkamp said...

thanks for the ideas mel!