Saturday, July 11, 2009

The Elegance of the Hedgehog


Finished it. Loved it. It takes an atheist stance on discussing how to find joy and meaning in life. I think there were enough commonalities in what all people regard as being important and beautiful that I could find myself generally agreeing with what the characters believed. They concentrated a lot of their disgust on the materialistic and trivial minded lives of the French upperclass. Can't complain there. Some parts reminded me of the wit in Salinger's Rise High the Roof Beam Carpenters and Seymour. It was very well written. Also, maybe I am a little biased because some parts of the book focused on discussion by the French on how Japanese asthetics were the epitome of culture. I can't help but like that, haha! Seems like the Americans are in love with France and the French are in love with Japan. Then I would also have to say, after reading though many Japanese fashion magazines, that the Japanese are in love with America.

No comments: