Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Photography Class so Far

Last Wednesday I started my Photo I class at Salt Lake Community College. Honestly, the first day was very boring. The teacher read the syllabus word for word, totaling 3 hours, and then we took a tour of the lab and dark room. Knowing a little bit about teaching and keeping students' attention, reading a syllabus word for word is a quick recipe for wandering minds. I think the whole class was either texting or daydreaming most of that day. I get kind of annoyed when people text in class or church so it drove me a little crazy. Maybe it's because I'm usually the one having to take my students' phones away. When I was in the Philippines I used to see some members texting with their eyes closed during the sacrament, also annoying.

The second day of class was better. We learned about f-stops, shutter speeds, ISO, how to use a gray card, and where the controls were on our cameras. I feel really old in class because everyone, besides me and a seventy year old man, is taking this class for their undergraduate degree. It's not that I feel superior, I just feel like the granny, even though I may not look it. There are about 20 students altogether.

Our teacher is interesting. She reminds me of a mix between Tina Fey and Parker Posey. Unfortunately, that's not a descriptions of her sense of humor or entertainment value, but just some famous people that she somewhat resembles. The teacher has been sick this last week or so, and therefore, a little out of it. Maybe that is why that first day was so boring. She is really nice though, and patient with all my beginner questions.

Our first assignment was to take 24-36 pictures creatively. Pretty easy, but I'm still waiting to get my film back, so we'll see. I have a feeling a large percentage turned out blurry or underexposed. One thing that I think I love about photography is that it gets me out of the house. I shot one roll of film in the alfalfa fields behind our house and made friends with one of the farmers. I shot the second roll at the peacock place, but actually went onto the property this time. Very interesting story there that I'll have to tell about later.

I had to use the Mamiya for our first assignment because the lens for the Pentax did not come in time for class. That thing is HEAVY! Or maybe I'm just really weak.

No comments: