Sunday, April 5, 2009

Food Budget

I had this written up to post earlier this week and didn't get around to it, but Elder Hales' talk on provident living, as well as one of the educational conference presentations on classes and poverty, got me thinking about it again. A relative of a friend had this review of her food budget and tips on saving money on food and I was super impressed! They only spent $100 a month on food for a year. That's quite amazing. We're not that good, but then again, we also both work full time and occasionally splurge on some treats. We spend about $60-1oo a week on food, not counting eating out which we designate for Friday and Saturday (one day is our cheap day the other is our sit-down restaurant day). My mom is super healthy and one of the things she insisted upon when we got married was to not skimp on fresh fruits and vegetables if at all possible. I guess we still count as a young married couple, so we think we do pretty good. I cook a lot, and by a lot I also mean that I often cook more than we can eat. As a coworker said, "No leftover tastes good after you eat it for the fourth time in a row!" I agree. What's your food budget like?

6 comments:

Heidi said...

We spend from $75 - $100 per month on our groceries and we always have fresh fruits and veggies at home...I just love to be a bargain shopper! We only spend $25 eating out together every month and we both get $10 to eat our while we are at work for the month. I guess you could say we're cheap...I just keep telling myself I'd rather go to Egypt, maybe when we get back we'll have a little more money in our grocery budget - but maybe not - the last year hasn't been so bad...

beckie said...

We probably spend about $150 a month on groceries and then about $100 on eating out, we only eat out on friday night and the occasional pizza.

I could be better about coupons and sales but when you work full time, the last thing I want to do is go to 4 different grocery stores with an envelope of clipped savings.

Emily said...

Our food budget is in the "needs improvement" catagory. Hopefully we'll get back on track when I'm not sick and pregnant anymore. :) Most of the time I only buy produce and meats that are on sale. I completely agree with your mom about not skimping on fresh fruits and veggies, though it's considerably more expensive in the winter (cross your fingers that we'll have a successful garden this summmer). I also agree with your coworker's comment that no leftovers taste good four times in a row. When we do go to restaurants, I try to order a meal I can't make for cheaper (or can't make period), or that will be good as leftovers. About half of the time we get our meals to go so we don't have to tip as much and/or we can split them at home. Splitting meals seems to be "looked down on" at some restaurants but I figure we'd be spending less time at their table and we tip 20% anyway. We've eaten probably more than our fair share of Whopper Jrs too from the dollar menu. (not too bad without the calories/fat in the mayo and ketchup)

Kristen said...

To feed our family of five we spend about $300 a month on food - I try to keep the budget at $75 per week and that includes purchases for our food storage.

We go out to eat maybe 2 times a month and that alone is about $40 a pop so we try to have coupons (buy one entree get one free) or go when the kids aren't with us. The worse is buying a plate of mac n cheese for $5 a plate for them

And you know how I love that dealstomeals.com site - I spend $5 a month on that and save close to $100 I'd bet. I've bought almost everything in my food storage for less than $1 each using that!

Melinda said...

You guys put me to shame! You also inspire me. I definitely have some room for improvement :)

Kerstin said...

Not saying that I am the best...but I am trying. There are just some name brand stuff we cannot live without...

An awesome site that has helped me....

www.savvyshopperdeals.com (she actually lets you know what is a good deal in every grocery store in Utah)

I am not smart enough to "just know" what a good deal is...(and it is free)....