Thursday, March 26, 2009

The 15 albums that changed my life

My friend Jen has been tagging me in a lot of her facebook notes lately and I always forget to involve myself in the chain. Sorry! Her last note had the above title (or at least something similar) and it was kind of fun for me to read because we grew up together and so I have listened to some of her life changing music with her. I will somewhat attempt to answer her note here since I tend to be using facebook less often. So Jen, here are some significant albums, though I won't name 15.

I'll preface it by saying that growing up I idolized my brothers, and by so doing listened to all their cool music when I was very young.




1. The Specials - The Specials : true ska. I started listening to them in elementary school and would imitate my brother Steve's skanking moves. I was never the same after.

2. Frente! - Marvin the Album : Angie Hart's sweet vocals bring me back to melancholy pre-teen years. For me she was the precurser to a lot of great indie females artists (Fiest, Cat Power).

3. Rancid - Out Come the Wolves - my first punk album. I did attempt to give myself a mowhawk for a Rancid show. I used everything: egg whites, Aquanet, hair gel. Nothing worked. Only thing I didn't try was glue. I hear that works pretty well.

4. Dance Hall Crashers - Lockjaw : Ska again, but girl bands rock! They had the look down too with the creepers and vintage dresses. My first show was a 901X new years concert at the San Diego Sports arena to see DHC. I was in middle school and my brother Dave took me. Sweet of an older brother to spend New Year's with his little sister.

5. The Muffs - Blonder and Blonder : Girl punk/pop. Kim Shattuck was hardcore and a little vulgar. Now they have the Muffs on Rock Band . . .

6. All the muscials my mom used to make us listen to in the car on trips to L.A. and Utah - Les Miserables, Phantom of the Opera, The Secret Garden, etc. : I used to have all the songs in all of these musicals memorized. When John took me to see The Secret Garden in Provo at a local theatre while we were dating I fell in love with him.

2 comments:

holtkamp said...

great list mel! i totally remember that almost-mohawk ha, ha!

Wiwi Kalawi said...

I had a friend in high school that effectively used purple glue to have the wildest Mohawk you'd ever seen.