Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Create

"The desire to create is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul. No matter our talents, education, backgrounds, or abilities, we each have an inherent wish to create something that did not exist before. Everyone can create. You don’t need money, position, or influence in order to create something of substance or beauty. Creation brings deep satisfaction and fulfillment. We develop ourselves and others when we take unorganized matter into our hands and mold it into something of beauty . . . " - Dietier F. Uchtdorf

I loved this talk by President Uchtdorf in the General Relief Society Broadcast this last fall. I'm trying to find something new to learn. A new way to create. It'll probably have to wait until summer, but this is what I've got written down so far:

1. Photography
2. Calligraphy
3. Knitting
4. Painting
5. French or Italian cooking
6. Sewing

I want to take classes for whatever I decide on; continue my education a little. My older sister took calligraphy in college and it really comes in handy and looks lovely. Knitting - well, I'm terrible at cross stitch, but everyone says it's fun and easy. Painting seems more up my alley since I like to draw. I was thinking of cooking because they have classes at Thanksgiving point, but they're kind of expensive. As for sewing, I can barely put on a button. It's kind of pathetic.

One question about photography though. I know nothing about taking pictures and have heard some strong opinions that one must learn/master how to take pictures and develop with film before becoming good at digital photography and messing with photoshop. Is that true? Does it make a person a better photographer? Is it worth it to buy an slr only to have to buy a digital slr later? I have no clue.

This has nothing to do with creating, but I've always wanted to get more into birding. Maybe that's just the biology dork in me.

5 comments:

Emily said...

Great quote and great goals! I want a digital SLR but they're so expensive. I also think crocheting is a bit easier to pick up b/c there's only one hook, not two needles to keep coordinated. I bet you'd be really awesome at painting and calligraphy and pretty much anything else you decide to do. :) PS I'm in the same place with sewing. It took me two hours to hem a pair of pants. . . .

beckie said...

I love that quote. I am totally stealing/borrowing it. I feel it justifies my entire life.

Here are my thoughts on all your options because I have dabbled in most of them.
Photography, you don't need to work with film first, trust me. Although it might be helpful to take a class and learn about how the camera works in relation to light and the mechanisms inside. Its more about having an eye for it these days since cameras are so good and photoshop is amazing.
Painting, if you like to draw you'll love painting, as my oil painting teacher said, you're only as good as your drawing. My teacher was awesome, I went once a week, she's in Murray if you want her #.
Okay this is already too long.

Go Creation!

holtkamp said...

if someone can find alex burciaga i'm sure he could help you with the birding!

Anne said...

I had a Nikon SLR I got in high school and hoped to keep forever. When digital came, I had to upgrade since paying for film and developing just seemed ridiculous! I have a Nikon D50 now and love it. I would totally recommend getting the D40 if you are starting out. It takes great photos on auto and is easy to learn. I did photo in high school with the film and lab and everything, but I don't think it's really necessary. You have a good eye and could totally take off with digital, but if you are really interested, I would get a full blown DSLR instead of a nice point and shoot. I can't say enough about the D40 for beginners (and experts, too!). Okay this is too long but the last thing I'll say is the upgrade potential makes it all worth it. You can use it on auto, straight out of the box, or you can invest in new lens and just keep going up. I love it!

You should also check out kenrockwell.com for good info about cameras and photography. As for the other hobbies, I don't know too much about those but I'm sure you'd do great with any of them!

Melinda said...

Anne,Beckie - Thank you so much for your advice! It really helps. I think I'll be saving up for a camera to purchase for this summer. The D40 does sound nice!