Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Snobby Snacks


John loves cheese. It's like his most favorite food in the whole world. Whenever we go to an Italian restaurant or make simple spaghetti at home he always piles on a ton of parmesan. It used to be just John who was obsessive with the cheese but then we had a life changing experience. The BYU french club has an annual event called Cheese Night. We went one year because our friend Nephi was the French club president. That year the club had cheese that was ordered from France and it was served along with a baguette and grape juice, yes, grape juice, because it's BYU. Since that night John and I have both been hooked on gourmet cheese. It's such a snotty thing. For example, as a snack we'll have munster on crackers, or fresh goat cheese on Italian boule or cheddar wrapped around honey crisp apples. We've been buying expensive cheese for dishes at dinner like fresh smoked mozzarella, gouda, and real romano. Don't ever ask to look in our cheese door. It's packed! Now I'm kind of embarrassed about this because really, there are better things to be doing with our money. We've become food snobs! We're food snobs about a couple of other items as well. John has to have real maple syrup or make his own with maple extract, I have to have the Simply Orange brand orange juice, and then when it comes to cereal I can't stand the generic brands and will usually always buy Kashi. We don't buy organic or anything like that, so we're safe there for now. Are you a food snob with anything?

10 comments:

Emily said...

I don't think you guys are food snobs but your tastebuds are more refined than other people's. Too bad you couldn't've come to our cheese tasting night in Wisconsin by a guy that imports cheese from all over the world! I liked the cranberry goat cheese while Tyrone loves the sharp stuff like Manchego. I'm very picky about chocolate (I'd rather have no chocolate over Hershey's), Jamba Juice (vs any other smoothie ever), and I'm sure there are many other things.

Heidi said...

We aren't really food snobs unless that means eating wheat from our food storage...but I love goat cheese pizza. Next time you make homemade pizza you'll have to use goat cheese! Make it like normal with red sauce and then spread on the goat cheese (they kind of mix together but it is so yummy) then add the toppings of your choice. Oh my goodness, invite me for the occassion - I am craving and I will even spring for the cheese....

holtkamp said...

i definitely think everyone's a food snob in their own way. i mean angelica won't eat mexican food from anywhere else! ha,ha. but seriously, i only drink gatorade (never powerade or any other imitation juice). i think your cheese 'snobbery' just shows how sophisticated you guys are :)

Heidi said...

If you love cheese you should check out www.thecheeseambassador.com. My friend Sara started this last year and she has sent me samples and stuff for tasting parties. It's really really really good!

As far as food snobbery - I will not eat at fast food restaurants like McDonalds, Burger King, etc., unless under extreme pressure. I absolutely hate it!

Nathan Cashion said...

Cheese is great! And it's not snotty food.

John introduced me to Simply Orange Juice too, and now I can't drink anything else.

Clark said...

I love cheese as well but it sure is expensive. Grad students get their cheese at any of the many free luncheons or other parties around campuses. My kids are getting raised on a steady diet of cheap, store brand food. That way, I can afford to send them to college.

(btw, we have the same waffle maker that is in the picture at the top of your blog, but it makes farm animal shaped waffles. no joke.)

beckie said...

Butter. If you stick a tub of Country Crock in front of me, you will get a dirty look.

Anne said...

That's so funny... I don't think you're food snobs just for liking good cheese! (I hope not, since I'm definitely on the same boat!) Chevre is my favorite of all. Now the question is- do you have a Microplane to shred that yummy stuff?

Melinda said...

Yes! We just bought a microplane this year and love it! Actually John loves it because he's the one the ends up shredding the cheese. I like it too for zesting lemons.

Wiwi Kalawi said...

You're cheese connoisseurs!