Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Cheer Up!

I hate winter. I can't think of anything I like about it. Maybe Christmas, but after that it's all downhill until my birthday in March. I struggle with the cold, the dark, depressing sky, and the lack of outdoor running. This year I made a list of fairly inexpensive things to do in preparation for snowy inversion lined days. They also work for a bad day or week. Hopefully you can use a few yourself! A couple I stole from a magazine and the rest I made up. Beware: they are girly


1. Buy some sunflowers or gerbera daisies to brighten up your table, room, or desk. They're quite inexpensive but still cheery.
2. Take a local nature walk. Everywhere has some nature and it calms the soul. When we thought even the gutter had some interesting things in it.
3. Write a love letter or make a mix tape for someone you love.
4. Take a bath with an new cheap bubble bath. I love mint!
5. Get an inexpensive mani/pedi, give one to yourself, or just soak your feet in some steaming water and peppermint extract.
6. Light a new scent - oil, candle, whatever you have. We got a new cinnamon sticks oil for $4 that reminds us baking apples.
7. Cut and Paste - I do this with magazines and old catalogs around some kind of theme and put it in a book or on some poster paper to display on my bulletin board. There's something theraputic about it. I just need to buy some of the kindergarten paste they used to have.
8. Buy and eat some fun food! - for me mangoes, raspberries, french fries with fry sauce, cherry cream cheese danishes, and chocolate crissonts do the trick.
9. Buy a couple of songs you've been waiting to get on itunes.
10. Go to the library and read your favorite children's books - Cloudy with a Chance of Meat Balls, Liza Lou and the Yeller Bellie Swamp, Hans Christen Andersen's Fairy Tales, Blueberries for Sal, Serendipity Books.
11. Color a picture (I'm thinking My Little Pony) with crayons or colored pencils and post it on the fridge or give it to someone else. Also, sprinkle it with glitter.

2 comments:

holtkamp said...

those are good tips. another one i've used is: get a pet (i.e.a fish) gloomy skies are the sole reason i bought george (my fish) it's relaxing watching him swim around in the winter.

Emily said...

You forgot "take a trip to San Diego and get warm."