Sunday, September 21, 2008

They're Everywhere!

One of the very good things about living in the community where you teach is that work is usually a 5 minute drive away. That means if I don't have any readily available food to take to school, I can just run home during my lunch break and eat some toast. It saves money on food and gas. The somewhat awkward thing is that I get to see my students everywhere I go. Some days it's a good thing and others it's just weird. If I make a quick stop to the grocery store in pajamas, presto, I get spotted by a student. If I duck in a store after I run I hear snickers behind me and realize that it's a bevy of my 7th grade girls and their friends. This month I have hit the high mark for public student/teacher run-ins:

1. Last night at Target - I got the super cool "Hey Ms. LeSueur" nod
2. At the park during a church activity - 15 min. conversation that included meeting the siblings, the dad, and the dog.
3. At the church during visiting teaching interviews - this was in the parking lot and again today after church. We're in the same building.
4. Down in Provo at the Latin Festival - this was far away from my house but they pop up in the oddest places.
5. At the grocery store - this is usually every week

I've learned that because I'm a fully integrated part of this community now, that this is my life for better or for worse until these kids graduate. This also means that I don't go out in PJ's anymore, I run in very modest clothing, and I watch my conversations in public very carefully. Who knows when one of my kids will walk by. I guess I have greater sympathy for stars like Natalie Portman and Jennifer Gardner who have all those embarrassing pictures published in magazine like People and US.

2 comments:

Kris said...

OH!!! That was so cute though when she came over to talk to you.

But I could see after running or in your pj's...I would get a little iffy about that too. Start sending John to the store. Dan makes all of the late night runs around here!

whitney allison said...

It's like all this time I didn't even know you were right here with me on blogger! I'm so happy.