Friday, August 15, 2008

Jugar el Futbol


Yesterday I got a call from my friend Jen inviting me to play for another friend's alumni soccer game. I love soccer and played through high school and intramural teams in college, but I haven't really had any serious games for about a year now. Figuring it was old geezers playing each other, I volunteered my rusted skills. So, I showed up to play at Cottonwood Heights High School only to realize that the alumni team was playing the current VARSITY girl's soccer team! I just about freaked out. We played on a their full sized regulation field with full sized goals. Wow, I thought I was in decent shape, but I was wrong. Soccer requires lots of intense sprinting which I haven't done for awhile. I was pleasantly surprised that I could still play some and was able to outrun some of their mid-field. I was also very winded. John was an awesome cheerleader (he didn't do the splits though) and gave me pep talks when I subbed out. Jen had some mad ball skills going on and when we were both out there it felt like the old days. The score ended up being 2-0, not so much of a slaughter as I would have thought! All I have to say is that I still love soccer, but it sure makes me feel old playing with 17 year old girls! I also wish I was Figo (see image above).

1 comment:

holtkamp said...

mel-you played great. you will always be able to show high school girls whose faster!