Monday, June 23, 2008

The Philippines

It was very sad news for me today when I read that the typhoon in the Philippines had destroyed a ferry carrying 800 passengers. I read the ferry was headed to Manila. The first thought I had was immediately of those members of the church who save and travel by ferry from the southern islands, sometimes a week long journey, just to go to the temple in Manila. I served my mission in Quezon City which neighbors Manila. Every time there is a disaster that strikes the Philippines, especially near the areas where I served, I wonder if there is anyone I know who was affected. I feel so helpless sometimes because I can't be over there to assist those people. I loved my mission and the people I was privileged to meet during that time. It truly was the best experience I have had. One of the wonderful things was that when I went to sleep each night I knew that I had done exactly what I was supposed to do for that day. I had to teach about the gospel and serve the people and that was the only thing I had to worry about. It seemed simpler somehow. I was whispering to John today during stake conference that he needs to get rich fast so we can retire early and go on a mission. I think that scared him a little. We will go there some day. Although it may be different as a normal tourist, I know it will be wonderful to go back.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

i love you. that's all. and i love that you love the phillipines. and you are so thoughtful. and you want to go on a mission. and well... it's beautiful. and so are those boots from the last post. :)