Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Almost there

8 more days left of school! It's official when all the teachers are counting down and reminding each other more often than the students. My kids are getting squirrley and I'm getting a little antsy myself. Today we made banana splits in class. I'm sure you're thinking, um, banana splits? In science? We had the kids key out the pathway for the ingredients in a banana split and write down a latin version of the name. If they got the pathway and name correct they were able to create their treat. Utah requires kids to know how to use a dichotomous key. Kind of a weird standard if you ask me. Anyway, it was fun and I got to each ice cream in class! I wish they had more inquiry based teaching practices when I was in school. We did raise meal worms from grubs in milk cartons with Mrs. Wilensky . . . but we did not eat those.

I had to help clean out lockers today after school so that the school library could collect the 200 missing library books that the students "forgot" /were too lazy to return. It was a gross and interesting experience. Almost every locker and some sort of cheap teenager perfume or cologne stashed up on the top shelf. I never wore perfume when I was 12. Seeing the many colored bottles reminded me of Holly Golightly pulling perfume out of her apartment mailbox instead of actual mail.

1 comment:

Kris said...

Cleaning out a jr high schooler's locker has got to be the grossest job ever. You brave girl you!